Friday

Ballets of the World in Photos

Ooooohhhh!!!! When I saw these images from the NY Post, I couldn't help but be delighted. I love ballet, and behind-the-scenes ballet is even better. There are so many terribly sappy images out there of ballet shoes, ribbons, and roses... . I really enjoy unusual views of this art.
The storage room at the NYC Ballet. Aren't these colors lovely?

Vintage embroidery for a dress for an upcoming production. The embroidery is valued at around $900.

Some other favorites...
Les Grands Ballets Candiens de Montreal. An abstract time-lapse photo.

An old poster from the National Ballet of Canada - ballet goes gritty. Love the creativity. 

The Ballet De Havana.

The American Ballet Theater captured on the beach in Caracas.

Last, but not at all least, one of my favorite ballet images of all time:  this exquisite, open air setting of Swan Lake by the American Ballet Theater. 

Finally, for a cinematographic masterpiece on ballet, the documentary Backstage at the Kirov is a must. Tchaikovsky's score intertwines with images of Cold-War era Russia, sweeping on-stage views of Swan Lake, ballet history, and high drama, as the next Odette for the opening of the Kirov season is chosen. Available at Amazon.com.

Pictures 1&2:  NYMag.com. Pictures 3-6, Flickr.com. Image 4, ABT ad, my files. Image 5, amazon.com.

13 comments:

Beth Connolly said...

Gorgeous-I love that photo of the storage room.

escapade said...

Oh this post is just dreamy! I adore ballet - I always regretted not continuing...

Renée Finberg said...

faboo post !!

thank you xx

Southern Aspirations said...

Dreamy, indeed! My fave is the beach shot. How many of us would love to do that- just jump for joy on the beach but have it be artistic and beautiful?

Sanity Fair said...

Southern Aspirations - I read that this shot was spontaneous too; i.e., the photographer said "jump!" and everyone just did an unplanned pose in the air. The results are beautiful.

Deidra said...

I love love love ballet! This post is spectacular!

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

I love the ballet! What a great post. Have a lovely weekend. :)

Ingrid Mida said...

I love the ballet too. The photos you chose are beautiful!

Sarah Klassen said...

It's posts like this that make me sad that I refused to study ballet as a child! Despite my refusal, I adore the intricate and fanciful costumes, such as the ones you have shown. They are truly works of art - and what better to accompany musical works of art? I too, love the beach image - it looks like so much fun. Fantastic post~

Alicia said...

A long time ago in a galxy far, far away, okay Clifton Park NY, 1978-1980 my mom & I trekked up to Saratoga Performing Arts Center for the summer NYC Ballet series. I always amanaged to convinve mom to let head down to the backstage area hoping to get an autograph & meet a god or goddess. Peter Martins, Suzanne Farrell all made my dreams comes true but it was Baryshnikov that nearly drowned me. He was quiet but accomodating.
What is about tutus & costumes that make me go mad????

paula said...

so beautiful...

Christina said...

if there's something i could do differently, from day one, it would be to have become a ballerina. seriously.

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

Great post, I love the photo of the dancers on the beach in Caracas. There was also a great article in the June British Bazaar about the history of Ballet Russes.

Disclosure

Shop Hop, Great Steals, and some posts may include paid links. View our disclosure policy here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails