Friday

Shopping on the Wild Side

Not five minutes into a trip to the department store the other day, I began experiencing elevated heart rate, muscular tension, and a desire to run. Swine flu? Nope - just your typical fight or flight reaction. Racks and racks of leopard spots and tiger stripes had triggered my survival instinct - they were everywhere. The entire women's section looked like a hunting preserve, or Jonathan Adler run amok with a dress form and some belts. And after wandering around awhile in this clothing Kenya, I realized WHY the racks were so full. Nobody was buying this stuff. It was AWFUL.

It pains me to post this. Meet the nylon/lycra/tie-dye cheetah top.
Is it me, or does she look like she's already been mauled by her shirt?
The worst part was that after shopping a bit I began to have a terrible craving for Cheetos (official mascot: the cheetah). Anyway, for such a bold, unabashed look, I'm amazed at the animal print coverage: it is EVERYWHERE. I didn't go in a single mall store without a large zoo section. Leopard spots and zebra stripes have been popular for a while, both in fashion and home, but that doesn't explain why they've suddenly gone everyman. I actually love animal print, but it's not like ruffles, or chartreuse, or any of the other major trends this season: you CAN wear too much zebra.

Anyway, there are plenty of designers doing wonderful animal prints that are perfect for the fall wardrobe - just don't put them all on at the same time.

Lovely leopard at Blumarine.

The ever clever Mr. Marc Jacobs - his tiger stripes are made of miniature tigers.

A Fendi Baguette gets its spots.

As shocking, neon animals go, this one's pretty cool. Tracy Reese holiday collection.

Tory Burch won't be left out! The cheetah print Abbey slipper.

Longchamp

A final word of warning: do not go all safari - or all cheap. Nothing says halloween like a little polyester cheetah!
Images: frillr.com/?q=node/14754, dillards.com, www.theinsider.com, saksfifthavenue.com, 4-6 nordstrom.com, toryburch.com, porcelainfashion.blogspot.com/2009/06/dolce-gabbana-fallwinter-2009-2010-ad.html, hollywoodcostumesandparty.com.

14 comments:

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Holy Cow! I guess I haven't been to the shops lately. Waaaay too much animal print is not a good thing. Totally agree!

pve design said...

Having worked as a Fashion Designer, spots have always been around, but this year they seem to be on the rampage, nothing extinct here. I think an accent is fun, in an accessory, but all over looks a little too wild for me.
pve

Sanity Fair said...

PHB - me neither, which was why I was so shocked when I finally got in a store. The animals are taking over.

Sanity Fair said...

PVE - nice word play :)

studioJudith said...

Love that leopard -
but, a little goes a long way.

And the pink .. .
no,no, no!

Judith

cornel said...

impressive series
I like it !

ticklishfromadistance said...

Wild indeed!!!!

Southern Aspirations said...

I'll pass on the pink too, but as an accent piece, I'm in! Thinking I could do a pair of Tory Burch's shoes... or perhaps in heels?

Greet Lefèvre said...

The Leopard of Blumarine is so beautiful!!! I love it as long as it is a print!

Greet

Beth Connolly said...

Animal prints-when they are good, they are very very good, but when they are bad, they are awful.

Unknown said...

lol at what you said about that woman in the 'bloodied' spotted top. i never really liked exotic stuff much. i even passed up on some dirt cheap leopard or cheetah flats when i had the chance. i do love the colours of tan or orange or white with black.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I have a favorite spotted sweater from last season, JCrew, can't imagine wearing more than a small dose! It is very interesting how a trend emerges and then explodes. Janell

annechovie said...

LOL. Love your wit, Skyla. Well said. Have a great weekend!

Christina said...

sounds like the all that animal print would make me crave cheetos too! actually just mentioning it is making me crave them.
i loooove the marc jacobs coat and the tory burch flats are pretty amazing too.
i don't own one piece of animal print clothing, but i've been looking. i will definitely follow your advice and only do one at a time!

Disclosure

Shop Hop, Great Steals, and some posts may include paid links. View our disclosure policy here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails