Monday

THE BLACK SWAN


I've never been terribly fond of Natalie Portman. Or is that Keira Knightly? I can't tell them apart, really, so perhaps it doesn't matter. At any rate, Portman is the evil twin this holiday movie season, starring in the Black Swan, a psychological thriller about a dancer who spins out of control. Though there have been (more than) enough dance movies lately, few have dealt with the "underworld" of intrigue and pressure in the international ballet scene. And, I'll see anything, anywhere, about Swan Lake, truly the most beautiful ballet in the history of dance.

Portman stars as the new prima ballerina, and the recent premier received very positive reviews. But the rest of us mere non-film-fest-attending-mortals will simply have to wait until the December release to get a peak. (Tip: do not confuse this with The Nutcracker and take the kids). 

The trailer has a whiff of Audrey Tautou in "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not," where the audience is unsure who is truly mad - and who is dangerous. 


The real Swan Lake: the Black Swan is the evil opposite of Odette, the Swan Queen. The Black Swan, Odile, lures the prince, who is in love with Odette, away at the crucial moment when he must declare his love for Odette or see her die at the hand of the sorcerer, Odile's father. Here, Yuan Yuan Tan dances as the Black Swan in 1998.  

The ballet theme has been a constant in fashion throughout the years. Here, Vogue does ballet with a touch of Billy Elliot, 2008.




West Side Story!

Vogue cover, 2007 - Sienna Miller as a white swan.

Gisele Bundchen strikes a balletic pose in Vogue.

Lilly Cole as an English swan in British Vogue.


Wear the look!






1. Alice + Olivia Feather Skirt. 2. Manolo Blahnik Leather Feather d'Orsay. 3. Judith Leiber Sunburst Moderne Minaudiere. 4. Stephen Dweck Bone Feather Necklace. 5. TopShop Flower and Feather Clip. 6. Pretty Ballerinas' Rosario Red and Gold Lock and Key Ballet Flats. 7. Memento Mori The Ballet Slippers Necklace. 8. J.Crew Martinete Feather Jacket. 9. Pretty Ballerinas' Marilyn Black Suede Tutu Ballet Flats. 10. Alice + Olivia Feather Shoulders Dress.

Images, Portman: Screencrave.com. Tan as Black Swan, Britannica.com. Billy Elliot Vogue spread, boysballet.wordpress.com. Gisele: csebastian.tumblr.com. 2007 cover: ofthenow.com. Lilly Cole in British Vogue, The Terrier and the Lobster. All product images, companies as attributed. 

10 comments:

Sarah Klassen said...

What a lovely post you've composed, Skyla... I admit, I'm a fan of Portman -- there's something about her sweet nature (or seemingly sweet nature) that I find so refreshing. That, and the fact that she's so natural... lovely pieces as inspiration :)

Hope you had a fabulous weekend,
xo

Splendid Sass said...

I LOVE the black dress, and you can never see too much ballet! Beautiful post.
Teresa

P.S. I love this... said...

I've seen the trailer for this movie and I can't wait to see it in December. I don't think I've seen a movie with Portman in it, not sure why.. but this looks like a winner.

Great post!

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

This is a great post and am dying to see the movie which I didn't know was ahead of us. I like Portman and think she is a great actress and can do the evil part quite well (if she is actually the evil one?). I am going to go back and read this post again. Enjoy the week. XO

Beach House Living said...

Okay, I'm more interested in the wonderful costumes.

Unknown said...

I had no idea about this movie....thanks for giving me the heads up! That inspiration board is fabulous...loving that feather necklace, beautiful!

Samantha said...

I'll grand jete to that.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Firstly, this is my favorite post I have seen in weeks. LOVED it. Maybe it's because I used to be a dancer...

I seem to live under a rock most days, and have not heard of this movie...but I will DEFINITELY be going to see it. Ahh....I will never forget being a swan in Swan Lake. = )

Loved the ballet-inspired fashion too! Though, can't I just wear a black tutu every day? ; )

Sanity Fair said...

Hi Teresa!!
Thanks so much for all of your comments! I keep trying to comment back on your blog, but I get malware warnings everytime I vist. Can't even get to your email to tell you!!!
Do you know if there's a problem? Is it just me?
-SF

hassam said...

I LOVE the black dress, and you can never see too much ballet! Beautiful post.

Disclosure

Shop Hop, Great Steals, and some posts may include paid links. View our disclosure policy here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails