Thursday

I WANT TO BE MEG BRAFF

Remember when you were a child in school, and your teacher told you that you were as unique as a snowflake, that you were wonderful, that you should never want to change? It was all a lie. Because I want to be Interior Designer Meg Braff.

Let's get down to brass tacts. I've never met Meg (we'll just go ahead and get on a first name basis). I wouldn't recognize her on the street. But when I saw her color-saturated, pattern-intense chinoiserie-inspired rooms in House Beautiful, I was a goner, hook-line-and-sinker. I fell in love with those rooms the way anyone does who has struggled to perfect an ideal - and suddenly sees that ideal before them. To employ pattern, yet not be too busy; to use color, but not be too bright, to be tasteful, yet never pretentious. And to use copious amounts of chinoiserie, yet not look like one of those hapless Eastern market mall stores, with dusty fountains and moon stones for sale. In short, to look like this:  cheering, soothing, simple, and above all, harmonious. It's a beautiful thing.

East Hampton, New York
Clarke Avenue, Palm Beach
Newport, Rhode Island
Ritz Tower, New York
Newport, Rhode Island
Newport, Rhode Island
Images, megbraff.com.

13 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I love her work. Such a fan too.

Southern Aspirations said...

Ditto. Definite fan of hers! I love the calm/tranquil yet elegant and colorful feel/balance she achieves.

Beach House Living said...

Your description of her work is right on. I'm going to look for more of her work.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

What, it was a lie? I believed my teacher until this very moment...Janell

Greet Lefèvre said...

This is beautiful! I go to visit more of her beautiful work!
Love the blue in all these pictures!!
Happy Easter!
xx
Greet

Alicia said...

So I guess we both yearn to be Meg. Perhaps we can alternate days???
Her work is so clearly perfection, embracing pattern effortlessly & somehow never overwhelming me.
Have a glorious Easter weekend.

One of my Hobby Blogs said...

wow - absolutely beautiful proportions, even a big mirror in a master bedroom, I would have never thought in a traditional decor - amazing stuff!

vicki archer said...

Great rooms, I understand why you love her work. Have a very happy Easter, xv.

annechovie said...

I can see why being Meg Braff is a great idea - I love her style, too! Happy Easter, Skyla!

Sarah Klassen said...

Her style is like a breath of fresh air! I cannot get over the space in Rhode Island, featured in the last two images...I didn't know about her, so thank you for the lovely intro. I will certainly keep an eye out for her decorating. She is so talented, and I love how you have described her style to a tee :)

Have a great weekend*

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more, and I have so many of these exact same images saved on my computer as well! She is fab!

Dayka Robinson said...

i love meg braff and hadn't seen a few of these photos, so thanks!

thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. that's funny you noticed the shop, etc--i used to LOVE LOVE LOVE that magazine. can you believe i found it at a thrift store? someone must've finally decided to let go of it . .
thanks for the comment about school, too. it was definitely the right decision.

Unknown said...

So ritzy - love her style.

Cheers.

Disclosure

Shop Hop, Great Steals, and some posts may include paid links. View our disclosure policy here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails